An Australian regulations footballer has been sent off during a match for having an "unsafe haircut.
The umpire firmed Nathan Van Someren's sharp Mohawk hairstyle could hurt another player, and ordered him off the field. The soccer player, who plays for Simpson in Victoria, has had the hairstyle for three years told the Geelong Advertiser he couldn't consider umpire Don Wheadon's conclusion.
Van Someren said, "Ahead of the game the umpire said that I could not play with my hair like that. He told me it was dangerous. "We all considered that he was taking the Mickey out of me. Only some umpires have made gags about my hairstyle before, so I didn't imagine any more of it."
Van Someren played in the first and second quarters of the match against Otway District, but in the third quarter the umpire determined to send him off.
You anticipate players to be sent off for striking blokes or abusing umpires, not for their hairstyles. The 25-year-old player has refused to get his hair cut. "I don't desire to, I want to maintain it. I don't feel I should have to. If somebody has long hair it could brush someone in the eye.
"Should they be made to cut it as well? The player, who jobs as an electrician, colored the tips of his Mohawk to match his team. "I put blonde in it because we are the Lions," he said.
"My girlfriend is a hairdresser and she akin to play almost with my hair a spot and I just like this style, I think it is attractive and cool."
His coach Leigh Walsh was furious at the result to send the player off. "You anticipate players to be sent off for striking blokes or mistreating umpires, not for their hairstyles,' he said.
The Victorian Country Football League afterward said the umpire had misunderstood the regulations. The sending off did not change the conclusion - Van Someren's team still run to success by 34 points.

No comments:
Post a Comment