Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Around 400 died, missing in New Zealand Quake - Rescue works are going on

In New Zealand more than 400 people have been died and missing in Christchurch and large numbers of people are wounded after a catastrophic earthquake. The rescue workers have been searching to locate through the night   to the survivors.  Prime Minister John Key, announcing a countrywide emergency after New Zealand's severe natural tragedy in 80 years, said the region about the country's second biggest city had gone through "death and devastation on a horrible scale". Rescuers had to cut off members from survivors to free them from blazing destructions of buildings declined to wreckages in few seconds, while shocked survivors were nerve from the ruins in a frantic overnight rescue mission.

Telling about the disaster to the Christchurch Press a resident of Christchurch, Tom Brittenden said, he saw a woman expire along with her baby in her arms when she was hit by falling debris in the city's Cashel St Mall. Her baby secured but she was died on the spot.
Officials said that Rescue workers have recovered 75 bodies since the 6.3 magnitude quake hit at mealtime on Tuesday, and about 300 people are still misplaced.
The tragic earthquake in 1931 hit the New Zealand, that time at least 256 people had been killed, after six month the quake came again with 7.0 magnitude and wreckage the buildings in Christchurch, but not casualty was reported. The newest quake has collapsed various buildings and left central Christchurch scattered with debris. The city's landmark cathedral misplaced its spire
The earthquake was the deadliest to hit New Zealand since 256 people died in a 1931 tremor, and it came six months after a 7.0 magnitude quake weakened buildings in Christchurch, but miraculously resulted in no deaths. The latest tremor toppled many buildings and left central Christchurch strewn with debris. The city's landmark cathedral lost its spire.
Various aftershocks were felt in the city on Tuesday and all the night, hampering rescue works.
Russell Gibson, Police Superintendent concerned that the death rate was certainly to increase as at least 500 crises workers search through crushed buildings, taking notice for any signs of life. "There is unbelievable massacre right all over the city," he told Radio New Zealand. "There are bodies wasting the streets, they are intended in cars and devastated under debris."
Most of the areas of city deprived from electricity and Gibson said rescue teams working throughout the night had untied 20 to 30 people, some at frantic cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment